With this coconut, I'd love to share it with you how to make a home-made "Virgin Coconut Oil" - the cold way absolutely without applying heat. Here's my how-to-do-it VCO.
- 2 pcs. medium size quality matured coconuts
- coconut juice from matured coconuts
- clean cheesecloth (as strainer and for squeezing)
- containers for coconut mixture and VCO
- Place and wrap the coconut mixture into the cheesecloth.
- Press and squeeze the cloth to allow the coconut milk to flow out of the cloth.
- Keep squeezing for several times until all the creamy juices come out of the mixture.
- Set aside the squeezed coconut, it can be used as fertilizer.
- In a container, filter the coconut milk using a cheesecloth.
- Cover and allow the coconut milk to settle untouched in room temperature for 18 hours. Fermentation takes place setting the coconut oil to separate naturally in between the curd and white watery mixture (can be fermented and turned into vinegar).
- Carefully remove the curd (top layer)
- Gently scoop out the oil (2nd layer) and pour into ready container while filtering using a cheesecloth on top of a funnel for a transparent result.
Now you have your virgin coconut oil ready.
Some benefits of VCO:
- Beneficial to the heart as it contains about 50% lauric acid (an essential fatty acid that is only found in high concentrations in mother's milk) which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. The saturated fats present in coconut oil are not harmful same with other vegetable oil.
- It helps boost the body's immune system.
- It has anti-viral and anti-microbial properties.
- It aids to regulate blood sugar.
- Serves as basic ingredient for soaps, lotions and creams.
- Helps in preventing premature aging due to its antioxidant properties.
- Aids in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections.
- Heals & nourishes the skin, hair and scalp. A good form of moisturizer for the skin.
- Helps maintain healthy thyroid function.
- Serves as an effective insect repellant when mix with peppermint oil.
- It heals animal wounds.
- Coconut juice serves as refreshing electrolyte-rich drink and can be a good replacement for sports drink.